李开复写给女儿:如何度过大学生涯

[复制链接]
分享奖励排行榜
发表于 2018-6-7 17:13:13 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
39494919_2.jpg
李开复全家福

Dear Daughter:

亲爱的女儿:   

As we drove off from Columbia, I wanted to write a letter to you to tell you all that is on my mind.

当我们开车驶出哥伦比亚大学的时候,我想写一封信给你,告诉你盘旋在我脑中的想法。   

College will be the most important years in your life. It is in college that you will truly discover what learning is about. You often question "what good is this course". I encourage you to be inquisitive, but I also want to tell you: "Education is what you have left after all that is taught is forgotten." What I mean by that is the materials taught isn't as important as you gaining the ability to learn a new subject, and the ability to analyze a new problem. So do take each subject seriously, and even if what you learn isn't critical for your life, the skills of learning will be something you cherish forever.

大学将是你人生最重要的时光,在大学里你会发现学习的真谛。你以前经常会问到 “这个课程有什么用”,这是个好问题,但是我希望你理解:“教育的真谛就是当你忘记一切所学到的东西之后所剩下的东西。”我的意思是,最重要的不是你学到的具体的知识,而是你学习新事物和解决新问题的能力。所以,即便你所学的不是生活里所急需的,也要认真看待大学里的每一门功课,就算学习的技能你会忘记,学习的能力是你将受用终身的。   

Do not fall into the trap of dogma. There is no single simple answer to any question. Things rarely "black and white", and there are always many ways to look at a problem. This is called "critical thinking", and it is the most important thinking skill you need for your life. This also means you need to become tolerant and supportive of others. I will always remember when I went to my Ph.D. advisor and proposed a new thesis topic. He said "I don't agree with you, but I'll support you." After the years, I have learned this isn't just flexibility, it is encouragement of critical thinking, and an empowering style of leadership.

不要被教条所束缚,任何问题都没有一个唯一的简单的答案。看待一个问题不应该非黑即白,而是有很多方法和角度。就是“批判的思维”——你的一生都会需要的最重要的思考方式,这也意味着你还需要包容和支持不同于你的其他观点。我永远记得我去找我的博士导师提出了一个新论题,他告诉我:“我不同意你,但我支持你。”多年后,我认识到这不仅仅是包容,而是一种批判式思考,更是令人折服的领导风格。  

Follow your passion in college. Take courses you think you will enjoy. Don't be trapped in what others think or say. Steve Jobs says when you are in college, your passion will create many dots, and later in your life you will connect them. In his great speech given at Stanford commencement, he gave the great example where he took calligraphy, and a decade later, it became the basis of the beautiful Macintosh fonts, which later ignited desktop publishing, and brought wonderful tools like Microsoft Word to our lives. His expedition into calligraphy was a dot, and the Macintosh became the connecting line. So don't worry too much about what job you will have, and don't be too utilitarian.Enjoy picking your dots, and be assured one day you will find your calling, and connect a beautiful curve through the dots.

在大学里你要追随自己的激情和兴趣,选你感兴趣的课程,不要困扰于别人怎么说或怎么想。史蒂夫•乔布斯曾经说过,在大学里你的热情会创造出很多点,在你随后的生命中你会把这些点串联起来。在他著名的斯坦福毕业典礼演讲中,他举了一个很好的例子:他在大学里修了看似毫无用处的书法,而十年后,这成了苹果Macintosh里漂亮字库的基础,而因为Macintosh有这么好的字库,才带来了桌面出版和今天的办公软件(例如微软Office)。他对书法的探索就是一个点,而苹果Macintosh把多个点联结成了一条线。所以不要太担心将来你要做什么样的工作,也不要太急功近利。尽兴地选择你的点吧,要有信念有一天机缘来临时,你会找到自己的人生使命,画出一条美丽的曲线。   

Most importantly, make friends and be happy. College friends are often the best in life, because during college you are closer to them physically than to your family. Also, going through independence and adulthood is a natural bonding experience. Pick a few friends and become really close to them – pick the ones who are genuine and sincere to you. Don't worry about their hobbies, grades, looks, or even personalities. You have developed some real friendships in high school in your last two years, so trust your instinct, and make new friends. Give people the benefit of the doubt; don't stereotype and be forgiving. People are not perfect, so as long as they are genuine and sincere, trust them and be good to them. They will give back.

最重要的是在大学里你要交一些朋友,快乐生活。大学的朋友往往是生命中最好的朋友,因为在大学里你和朋友能够近距离交往。另外,在一块儿成长,一起独立,很自然地你们就会紧紧地系在一起,成为密友。你应该挑选一些真诚诚恳的朋友,跟他们亲近,别在乎他们的爱好、成绩、外表甚至性格。你在高中的最后两年已经交到了一些真正的朋友,所以尽可以相信自己的直觉,再交一些新朋友吧。以最大的善意去对人,不要有成见,要宽容。人无完人,只要他们很真诚,就信任他们,对他们友善。他们将给你相同的回报。  

Do keep your high school friends, and stay connected to them, but do not use them as substitutes for college friendship, and do not spend too much time with them, because that would eat into your time to make new friends.

要和你高中时代的朋友保持联系,但是不要用他们来取代大学的友谊,也不要把全部的时间都花在老朋友身上,因为那样你就会失去交新朋友的机会了。   

Whether it is summer-planning, or coursework planning, or picking a major, or managing your time, you should take control of your life. Life is too short to live the life others do or others want you. Being in control feels great. Try it, and you'll love it!

不管是暑假计划,功课规划,抑或是选专业,管理时间,你都应该负责你的人生。生命太短暂了,你不能过别人想要你过的生活。掌控自己的生命是很棒的感觉,试试吧,你会爱上它的!

I told your mom I'm writing this letter, and asked what she wanted me to say. She thought and said: "just ask her to take care of herself." An ancient Chinese proverb says that the most important thing to be nice to your parents is to take care of yourself. This is because your parents love you so much, and that if you are well, they will have comfort. You will understand this one day when you become a mother. But in the meantime, please listen to your mother and take care of yourself.

我告诉你妈妈我在写这封信,问她有什么想对你说的,她想了想,说“让她好好照顾自己”。中国有句古语,说“身体发肤,受之父母,不敢毁伤,孝之始也”。这句话的意思用比较新的方法诠释就是说:父母最爱的就是你,所以照顾好自己就是孝顺最好的方法。当你成为母亲的那天,你就会理解这些。在那天之前,听妈妈的,你一定要好好照顾自己。   

College is the four years where you have:   

•the greatest amount of free time

大学是你自由时间最多的四年。  

•the first chance to be independent

大学是你第一次学会独立的四年。

•the most flexibility to change

大学是可塑性最强的四年。  

•the lowest risk for making mistakes

大学是犯错代价最低的四年。

So please treasure your college years – make the best of your free time, become an independent thinker in control of your destiny, evolve yourself into a bi-cultural talent, be bold to experiment, learn and grow through your successes and challenges.

所以,珍惜你的大学时光吧,好好利用你的空闲时间,成为掌握自己命运的独立思考者,发展自己的多元化才能,大胆地去尝试,通过不断的成功和挑战来学习和成长,成为融汇中西的人才。   

Love,       

爱你的,       

Dad (& Mom)       

爸爸(和妈妈)

有人访问你的分享时,你将获得奖励(每次1金钱,重复访问不计)

评论

使用道具 举报

使用高级回帖 (可批量传图、插入视频等)快速回复

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即加入

本版积分规则   Ctrl + Enter 快速发布  

发帖时请遵守我国法律,网站会将有关你发帖内容、时间以及发帖IP地址等记录保留,只要接到合法请求,即会将信息提供给有关政府机构。
快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表